A few notes hours before the NJEA Convention

Grant Wiggins of Understanding By Design fame is a guru, of sorts. He does admit that what he does is common sense, and he is right. It's common sense.

Kudos to our administration for bringing him in. I work under an incredibly supportive supervisor who has created an environment that allows us to safely dissect our lessons of the day. Mr. Grant's lecture had no surprises.

I think we caught him on an off day.

Grant is fond of sports analogies. I felt like I was watching Jim Kaat at Shea Stadium in 1978. OK stuff, but sad because I knew it was once so much better. More on UbD as I digest it.
***

Our principal Mr. Chris Jennings ran the NYC marathon in under 4 hours 20 minutes.

He never mentioned it--I noticed he was limping Monday. He quietly told me he had run the NYC marathon the day before.

I'm not sure what impressed me more, the fact he had run the marathon, or that he kept it quiet.
***

Holding the state teachers' conference during the course of the school year never made sense to me. We have summers off. If the conference has appeal beyond the gaudiness of Atlantic City, teachers interested in their craft will attend even if it isn't just an excuse to skip school.

Blog Archive