Bipalychaetorsonectomy



"It has always seemed strange to me," said Doc. "The things we admire in men, kindness and generosity, openness, honesty, understanding and feeling are the concomitants of failure in our culture. And those traits we detest, sharpness, greed, acquisitiveness, meanness, egotism and self-interest are the traits of success. And while men admire the quality of the first they love the produce of the second."

John Steinbeck, Cannery Row




My kids can use electronic media--I get that.
They have access to tons of information--I get that, too.
The Finns are kicking our educational buttocks--no need to keep screaming, I hear you.

I teach biology, but more importantly, I teach kids how to see. How to listen. Touch. Sniff. (I draw the line at licking, for safety reasons.)

Arne's Race to the Top presumes a narrow (and ultimately destructive) world view. A decent course in biology, if it focuses on the art of observing life, presumes a wide open (and ultimately unknowable) universe.

It's tough impossible to reconcile the two.

The hero of Cannery row is a scientist. Steinbeck saw the world as a scientist. I would love to introduce Steinbeck to my lambs.

Because of constraints on time, time spent honing for the state test looming in May, I cannot.

Take a look at what we are doing to our children in public schools, and tell me which qualities we are promoting. I'm not looking to create "products." At 15, kids are still human.

I'd like them to stay that way.









Leslie took the photo in Galway, Ireland.

Blog Archive