The Apprentice

"You're fired!"


It's been a week.

I will probably be fine, but I am the boy on the bubble in our department. This is my fourth year; everyone else here has been teaching longer.

Our district has been hit hard by budget cuts. Seniority trumps. I get all that.

When all is said and done, I will either be teaching here, or I won't. But I will still be teaching.

I will still wander over to the befuddled Dad trying to untangle a horseshoe crab from his daughter's line, taking a moment to teach a child how to hold the ancient critter.

I will still show my nephew how to rake clams from the muck, how to shoot a hockey puck, how to burp heartily from the basement of the bowel.

I will still point out Orion to strangers on cold February nights, gazing at the star nursery nestled in the Great Nebula, marveling at light and distances.

So I will still teach, as I have.

But I really, really hope I get to keep my sophomores (and seniors, see comments below) in Room B362.





The photo has the little AP thingie on it, though I found it elsewhere....
That's our new Governor. He yells at referees at his kid's hockey games.
He talks about himself in the third person.
I may start calling him Li'l Arne.

My Google Analytics stats fell off the map with this post--OK, no more evil Governor pictures....

Blog Archive